- 1 tablespoon, plus 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups brown basmati rice, rinsed and well-drained
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 bay leaves
- 2-1/2 cups water or broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup currants or raisins, soaked for several minutes in hot water until softened slightly and drained
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced or diced
- 1/2 cup soaked and dried cashews or almonds, lightly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. When hot, add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and the rice. Quickly stir the rice until it is well-coated in the oil. Add the curry powder, turmeric, and bay leaves. Stir to mix the ingredients together completely. Add the water or broth and bring to a boil. When the rice reaches a boil, add the salt and lower the heat to a simmer. Simmer until done (about 15 minutes), transfer the rice to a large mixing bowl and set aside in the refrigerator to cool.
When the rice has cooled, mix in the currants or raisins, chopped celery, red bell pepper and nuts. Whisk the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil with the lime juice and pour over the rice. Mix thoroughly and enjoy.